Monday, February 13, 2012

In which She Reminisces with Purpose (DaLocalWife)

I have always loved music. 

As a child, growing up in Germany, there was a band out of East Germany named Karat.  Emo music by today's standards, my generation found it poignant and lyrically inspiring.  Although I love all of their offerings, one song has gotten me through the tough bits.  It is the epitome of my attitude towards hardships and the beast I call Prader-Willi Syndrome (http://www.fpwr.ca/about-foundation-prader-willi-research-canada/ ), which is the bane of my son T's existence.  

The song is called Gefaehrten des Sturmwinds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4xO2kwQzUM

and I will translate as best I can.  Hopefully it's meaning will not be lost on you.

The Storm's Companions

Every day anew, the storm is born,
he flies around the world and knows no path.
Daily he seeks new company,
he knocks on my heart, looking for a door.

My hunger for freedom was lonely and untamed,
I loved that which coincidence brought.
I searched for my stars all by myself,
cursed the dreams which I shared with no one.

Even when the storm breaks apart your roof
and he bends you down to the ground,
Get back up and offer him no quarter
because he will carry you far if you fly with him.

Every day anew, lights and shadows exchange,
I follow my path like driftwood in a river.
And many a night I dream of the floods,
I go with the storm as he waits for me.

I have already met him a hundred time
and every new day I look into his face.

Even when the storm breaks apart your roof
and he bends you down to the ground
Get back up and offer him no quarter
because he will carry you far if you fly with him.

Even when the storm breaks apart your roof
Even if he once almost defeats you.
Get back up, offer him no quarter
because he will carry you far if you fly with him.

                                                          ~Karat, loosely translated by K. Wilson

So there it is, my crutch, my inspiration.  Simple, really, just a song.  But it's meaning is not lost on me, and even though I once drifted aimlessly, I now face each challenge with force and commitment. If you learn to roll with the punches, you go further.

So, if you are down and it seems like everyone and everything is against you...if it seems to hard to persevere...
take this advice:  If you meet your challenge head-on and even when you face defeat, give it all of the oomph you can muster?  It's done, you succeed.  If it is just for that day, it doesn't matter because each new day, with each new challenge, offers you the chance to fly with the storm rather than lie down and give up.

Why the hell am I writing this now? 

Because T turns ten this week and he is amazing.

Because I can do anything I put my mind to.

There is NOTHING I can't conquer.

You hear that?

Nothing.






1 comment:

  1. You'll have no arguement here. You can do anything, and if you ever doubt that, I've got your back!

    ReplyDelete